Greg & Sue Smith
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
Hometown: Hot Springs, Ark. (Greg); Carthage, Ark. (Sue)
The Smiths are CBF field personnel and co-founders of LUCHA Ministries, an organization in the Fredericksburg, Va., area created to help Latinos cope with the struggles of a new life in the United States.
The Smiths help immigrants adjust to American culture through providing support for English classes, tutoring and helping explain U.S. medical and education systems.
They also work to connect people with the resources they need. By building relationships with employers, government and social service agencies, property managers, churches, schools and law enforcement, LUCHA Ministries works to bridge the gap between Latino immigrants and the community at large.
“We try to be Christ for the people that we minister to,” Sue Smith said. “We try to treat them the way we think that Jesus would have treated them, with dignity and respect. We want to help empower them to confront situations that are beyond their control.”
• 2013 February/March fellowship!: Someone to be there
• 2012 Feb./March fellowship!: Virginia ministry provides encouragement to Latino children
• 2010 Dec./Jan. fellowship!: 'Through the eyes of Christ'
• Smiths help Latino youths connect with parents by connecting with past
• Youth from Virginia, Hungary participate in BWA conference
• Hispanic ministries partner to meet needs in Virginia
• CBF field personnel create food pantry
• Partnership funds Hispanic ministry in Virginia
• Gathering of Latino pastors, leaders encourages Fellowship